Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Almuerzo Day 1

Part of my family's culture is food. There's not too much to do in Lima, but there's plenty of good food to eat! We had our first home cooked almuerzo (lunch) since our arrival. It was a 3 course meal of causa rellena, aji de gallina, and fruit.

Causa rellena is made of mashed potatoes, canned tuna, mayonnaise, eggs, and avocado. It's usually an appetizer that's served cold.

Aji de gallina literally translates to "Chili Peppers of Hen". It uses a special type of chili pepper that is hard to find outside of Peru. The dish is an interesting mix of shredded hen (this one was actually made of chicken), ground walnuts, the famous peppers, mixed in a tomato (I think they use tomatoes...) based stew.

The fruit in Peru is amazing. Mangoes are sweet and creamy. Oranges are juicy. About the only thing I didn't LOVE (but still liked) are the bananas which were a bit too starchy for my tastes (but looked super neat with it's pink pigment).

Two of the fruits that I've never come across in the United States are: granadilla and tuna. Granadilla literally translates to "little grenade". It has a hard orange shell exterior which you crack open like an egg to reveal a mucus like center. It has a very sweet, smooth, and slightly citrus flavor. Tuna is very sweet and refreshing...kind of like a large kiwi without the tart.

I've got to watch out. All this yummy food's going to make me gain weight!

Bye Los Angeles.

Causa Rellena & Aji De Gallina

Frutas!

Tuna & Granadilla

Eating Granadilla...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous damien said...

yummy!

5:08 AM  
Blogger ziritt said...

I think granadilla is what we call in Venezuela Parchita or here in the States Passion fruit.
I also miss guavas and mangos!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Muttpop Bob said...

damien:
Sure is!

ziritt:
Granadilla is definitely in the same family as Passion Fruit...but I've been told there's a difference (I just don't know what that difference is). Mangos in Peru have been delicious!

-MPB

6:06 PM  
Blogger Muttpop Bob said...

ziritt:
Passion Fruit in Peru is called Maracuya. It's way more acidic than Granadilla.

Granadilla is of the same consistency but is way sweeter.

I had some Maracuya (Passion Fruit) desserts...they were good...but I like Granadilla way more!

-MPB

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home