Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Umbrella Academy

Whoever put this art team together for Gerard Way has excellent taste! James Jean on covers. Gabriel Ba on interior art. Even if Mr. Way (of My Chemical Romance) had nothing to say, they'd make him look damned good. But he's actually is an excellent writer...so it's a beautiful comic all around.

Thus far Dark House has release 2 issues of this Limited Series and I can't wait for more! The story drips with plenty of clever ideas like Eiffel Tower rocket ships, an Ochestra that searches for a song whose sound can destroy the world, alien invasions, and an astronaut with a Gorilla's body.

If that's not your example of a good time, then just look at the lush artwork of Jean and Ba. :-)




Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous perro triste said...

The U. Academy is a great comic. Almost like a B movie and an incredible production. The concepts on this comic are so funny and the art of Gabriel Bá is one of the most original I've seen. Everybody should go and check "Casanova Quinn" I didn't understand a lot of what happened in that story, but I really liked it.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Muttpop Bob said...

perro triste:
I'm also a huge fan of "Casanova". It's a bit hard to follow but a lot of fun. I did a post about it here a while ago.

Totally agree about Umbrella Academy. I had very high expectations...and I still really enjoyed it.

Ba is quickly becoming one of my favorite comic artist!

-MPB

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Bill said...

well, even is the ink is TOTALLY inspired (i could say copied) on Mignola's art, it seems to be pretty good and funny...
"...zombie robot Gustave Eiffel !"...

that's really crazy

3:25 AM  
Blogger Muttpop Bob said...

Bill:
There's definitely a huge Mignola influence. Ba is working with Mignola's colorist (Dave Stewart) and editor (Scott Allie), so there's bound to be some stylistic similarities.

Gabriel Ba is clearly influenced by both Mike Mignola, Eduardo Risso (artist of 100 Bullets), and a tiny bit of Paul Pope...but I think there's enough of himself in his art to keep it from being a static copy of other great artists.

I guess my sample page choices do look a lot like Mignola (especially the monsters and action lines!)...I'm sure that's a result of me being such a huge fan of Mignola's work! :-)

-MPB

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home